Monday July 27, 2020 Matt McKinley
Theme: Even Numerical Order
17. Chicago-based improv group, with "The": SECOND CITY.
23. Imagined barrier between actor and audience: FOURTH WALL.
34. Beethoven's "Pastoral" or Tchaikovsky's "Pathétique": SIXTH SYMPHONY.
45. Musical symbol also called a quaver: EIGHTH NOTE.
56. When Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson, in a classic 1990 bout: TENTH ROUND.
TWO, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT, Who do we appreciate? Monday puzzles are GREAT. I checked with Tony the Tiger while he was eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes.
1. Really easy task: CINCH. Will the Twins win the AL Central ?
6. Serious cut: GASH. Remember the old golf balls? you could GASH them with a 9 iron and peel the cover and unwind the rubber band. Not anymore.
10. Sect. on a concert ticket: ORCH. Orchestra.
14. In flames: AFIRE.
15. Brink: EDGE. Reminds me of EDGErton Minnesota. A very small town where the High School basketball team won the state championship about 40 years ago.
16. Dodgers or Cubs: TEAM. Twins or White Sox?
19. Semester: TERM.
20. Bit of memorabilia: KEEPSAKE. Last Friday was opening day for the Twins and many other major league teams. On a shopping trip to Target, I wore my Justin Morneau T-shirt and my Twins baseball cap which I have adorned with many KEEPSAKE stadium giveaway pins and buttons. I probably have $150.00 worth of collectors items on the hat and it's fairly heavy to wear, but "BATTER UP"!
21. Bee secretion: WAX. The Hollywood WAX museum has many notables, including: Robin Williams, Johnny Cash, Elvis (Who needs no surname), Frank Sinatra, and James Dean.
22. Camera type, for short: SLR.
28. Old fast fliers: SSTS. Super Sonic Transports. Sometimes when they flew overhead we could hear a loud BOOM. I suppose you could call them a loud Boomer, which others have sometimes called me.
30. Dallas region inset on a Texas atlas page, e.g.: AREA MAP. An unfortunate area now dealing with many coronavirus cases.
31. Really tiny: WEE. Michelle Wie is not so tiny. Now a Mom named Michelle Wie West.
32. Photographed: SHOT.
33. Fingers in a lineup: IDS. The IDS Center is a 57 story tower and a landmark of Minneapolis. I remember when it was built around 1970. Now other skyscrapers are not allowed to go higher than the IDS.
38. Philip of "Kung Fu": AHN.
39. Regrets: RUES.
40. Barely make, with "out": EKE. I know many of you solvers barely EKE out crosswords, but usually not on Monday.
41. Pool stick protector: CUE CASE. A lot of pro pool cues are two pieces screwed together, and need to be separated to fit in the case.
43. Lat. and Ukr., formerly: SSRS. Maybe so, but I see Super Seniors which is my level in bowling tournaments. I am still waiting for a vaccine before rolling the ball again.
47. Hoopla: ADO. Much ADO about nothing.
50. Fairway position: LIE. Also what some of my golf friends do about their score.
51. Mattress you can "float" on: WATERBED. Never had one of these. Since our bedroom is in an upper floor, I would be afraid the weight would crash through the floor and we would be sleeping in the garage.
54. Fellow, to a Brit: CHAP. Sometimes my lips in the winter in Minnesota.
58. Fastening device: HASP.
59. "Not a __": "No idea": CLUE. I think it was done by Miss Scarlet with the rope in the kitchen.
60. Pasta sauce herb: BASIL.
61. Online craft shop: ETSY. Never used it. I get my Boondoggle from Kwik Crafts.
62. Conks on the head: BOPS.
63. Outlaw, to a sheriff: ENEMY.
1. Oak containers: CASKS. Minnesota passed a mandatory mask law last week. "Mask it or Casket"
2. "It's my opinion ... ": I FEEL. "I feel Pretty and Witty and Wise" Julie Andrews
3. More kind: NICER. A Zamboni is a NICER ICER.
4. Farm yield: CROP. We had a late Spring but I think the farmers are doing fine now. Your farm girl C.C. has tomatoes and cucumbers growing high as an elephant's eye.
5. Farm cluckers: HENS. I know I mentioned this before, but my uncle in Siren, Wisconsin had dozens of noisy HENS.
6. Lizards like the Geico mascot: GECKOS. "Just kick it back to over 75 years of sales and service"
7. French farewell: ADIEU. I will hang my heart on the weeping willow tree, and may the world go well with thee..
8. Cpl.'s superior: SGT. We're SGT Pepper's lonely hearts club band, We hope you will enjoy the show! The Beatles, of course.
9. "Psst!": HEY. Hey, Hey Paula!
10. Canada's capital: OTTAWA. AKA OTTAWA EH. USA Covid outbreak scared off the MLB. The Blue Jays are playing in upstate New York.
11. Check out again, as a patient: RE-EXAMINE. I used to be examined every three months. Now, due to Covid, my doctor just examines my blood draw.
12. Train unit: CAR.
13. "I'm thinking": HMM.
18. Bonkers: DAFT.
21. If: WHETHER.
24. Obama chief of staff Emanuel: RAHM. After a big win at Memorial ten days ago, I did not see Jon RAHM at our 3M Open this past week. His tax bracket must have gone up.
25. Stadium in St. Pete, with "The": TROP. Tropicana Field, home of the RAYS.
26. Gaga or Godiva: LADY. "Seventeen, a beauty queen, she made a ride that caused a scene in the town." Peter and Gordon.
27. Record albums, briefly: LPS. Wow, I only have about 8. They are collector's items. I have nothing to play them on.
28. Census datum: SEX.
29. Unvarying fee: SET RATE. A lot of investment firms no longer charge for trades.
31. Cabernet holder: WINEGLASS.
32. NES part: Abbr.: SYS.
34. Feng __: SHUI. Not my language.
35. "Quiet!": HUSH. "Hush, Hush sweet Charlotte." Patti Page.
36. Observed: SEEN.
37. Approves: OKS.
38. Royal flush card: ACE. I have only hit one royal flush on a casino poker machine. It was at Treasure Island in Southern Minnesota. Playing five nickels and won $200.00.
42. Marked by contentiousness, as a game: CHIPPY. Also a bit of a short shot near the greenie.
43. Idaho and Iowa: STATES. I think we forgot INDIANA and ILLINOIS.
44. Actor Rogen: SETH.
46. Admit (to): OWN UP. I admit it. While you are doing this puzzle, I am playing golf.
47. Seriously overdo, as a privilege: ABUSE.
48. Dungarees fabric: DENIM. I used to call them blue jeans. I did not wear them - never comfortable.
49. "Strange to say ... ": ODDLY.
52. Kathryn of "Law & Order: C.I.": ERBE. ODDLY, I do not watch Criminal Intent. I only like the original Law & Order.
53. Equine hue: ROAN. Maybe we will see one in the Kentucky Derby in September ?
54. Michael of "SNL": CHE.
55. Stetson __: HAT. Named after John B. Stetson and only seen on "In the Heat of the Night".
56. Getting the job done, initially: TCB. "Takin' Care of Business". Bachman, Turner, Overdrive.
57. "Xanadu" rock gp.: ELO.
Note from C.C.:
In case you were not here the past two days, Husker Gary has updated our Crossword Corner map. Please email Gary (email@example.com) if you want your name to be added or removed from the map.
Thanks for your hard work, Gary! You're just incredible! #MattMcKinley #Monday