Honey-Whisky Glazed Sweet Potatoes
We got a lot of sweet potatoes during our last weeks of this year’s CSA. And a lot of apples. They’re such a perfect pairing and one that I’ve been playing with a lot this fall – this dish is one of my favorites.
Sweet potato and apple chunks doused in a syrupy honey-whisky-pecan glaze will be your new favorite Thanksgiving side dish.
The bulk of this can be prepped the day ahead, too, which makes it ideal for a busy holiday. Prep up until the final bake, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. When baking, add a few minutes to the cook time – until everything is soft and warmed through.
This week I’m joining up with my blogger buddies to bring you lots of holiday side dish options – just in time for menu planning!
Check out all the fabulous holiday side dishes posted today:
- Apple Butter from Simply Inspired Meals
- Creamed Spinach from Palatable Pastime
- Pretzel Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Biscuits from Our Good Life
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole from Blogghetti
- Smoked Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese from The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet Potato Souffle from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Yellow Squash and Zucchini Casserole from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Honey-Whiskey Glazed Sweet Potatoes & Apples
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1 cup roughly chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
2/3 cup honey
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup whiskey
2 cups peeled, cored, and 3/4-inch-diced Granny Smith apples
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Wash the potatoes and place unpeeled on a large piece of foil. Place the foil directly into the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes, until slightly soft. Let cool until you can handle them, then peel and dice.
While the potatoes bake, heat a skillet over medium heat. Toast the pecans for about 3 minutes. Add butter and coconut oil to the pan. When melted, stir in the honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne. Simmer for 5 minutes. Carefully add the whisky – it will cause the mixture to bubble rapidly. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Spray a 9×9 dish with non-stick spray. Toss the sweet potatoes and apples in the dish. Pour the pecan glaze over. Bake for 25 minutes, until the apples are soft and everything is warmed through.
from Well Plated